Tsrviz Chapel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Tsrviz Chapel (Template:Langx) or Moro-Dzoro (Template:Langx) is a medieval Armenian chapel located near the village of Lusahovit in the Tavush Province of Armenia.

File:Chapel Trvisi or Crvisi (or Moro-Dzoro) - ..jpg
Chapel Trvizi. General preview

History

The chapel dates back to the 5th century. It was reconstructed during the 12th and 13th centuries. An inscription on its walls records that king George III of Georgia (r. 1156–84) freed the monastery from taxes and endowed it with land. The dome of the Astvatsatsin church was rebuilt in 1213 by Ivane Mkhargrdzeli, atabeg of the Kingdom of Georgia. Nearby is the medieval settlement of Tsrviz, with khachkars.[1]

Modern condition

During the 1980s, the chapel went under renovation works.

Gallery

References

<templatestyles src="Reflist/styles.css" />

  1. B. Kiesling and R. Kojian, "Rediscovering Armenia", Yerevan, 2005, p158.

Script error: No such module "Check for unknown parameters".

Script error: No such module "Side box".

Script error: No such module "Coordinates".


Template:Armenia-christian-monastery-stub