Leading Point Light

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Template:Short description Script error: No such module "Unsubst". Template:Use American English Template:Short descriptionScript error: No such module "Infobox".Script error: No such module "Check for unknown parameters".Script error: No such module "lighthouse tracking".Expression error: Unexpected < operator

The Leading Point Light was an unusual lighthouse which displayed the rear light to the Brewerton Channel Range. It was eventually superseded by an iron tower on the same foundation.

History

This light was built in 1868, along with the Hawkins Point Light, to provide range lights marking the Brewerton Channel, excavated in the 1850s to provide a fixed deepwater channel into Baltimore Harbor. In form, it was like no other lighthouse in the area, a brick house with a short tower holding the lantern surmounted with a tall pole supporting a large ball, to be used as a daymark.

In 1924 both lights in this range were torn down and replaced with skeleton towers, which remain in use.

References

External links

Script error: No such module "Portal". Script error: No such module "Navbox". Script error: No such module "Navbox".

Script error: No such module "Authority control".